POSITION TITLE: Press & Media Volunteer Placement
HQ DEPARTMENT: Development
REPORTS TO: Development Director
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: 3-6 month initial commitment with the possibility of extension after review
START DATE: November 2016 / As soon as possible
NUMBER OF HOURS/WEEK: Minimum 10 hours a week, preferably 20+ (unpaid)
LOCATION: Chilmark, Wiltshire, UK, (Working from home options available)
To apply, email your CV and a covering letter to [email protected] or use the link at the bottom of this page.
Ongoing application process. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.
Team Rubicon UK (TRUK) is an expanding charity which unites the skills and experiences of military veterans with first responders and like-minded civilians, to rapidly deploy disaster response teams in the UK and around the world. Initially founded in the USA, Team Rubicon puts the ethos of ‘Service above self’ as the driving force behind all of our operational activity. Our actions are characterised by the constant pursuit to prevent or alleviate human suffering, and restore human dignity – we help people on their worst days.
In addition to helping those affected by disasters, we seek to provide our veterans with three things they lose after leaving the military: a purpose (gained through disaster relief); community, (built by serving with others); and self-worth (from recognising the impact one individual can make). Coupled with leadership development and other opportunities, Team Rubicon looks to help veterans transition from military to civilian life.
Team Rubicon UK promotes collaboration, using innovative approaches to build successful partnerships and promote rebuilding and wellbeing in affected communities. Projects include capacity building, flood response, earthquake response, healthcare, construction, and property recovery.
The Development Team’s primary role is developing brand awareness, membership recruitment and long-term fundraising sustainability to support the delivery of Team Rubicon’s operational objectives.
Overview of the project
We’re looking for a dedicated volunteer to join our Development Team at HQ. We are currently starting to create a media engagement programme and the successful applicant will be critical in launching a national media strategy. This includes everything from how we engage with the media to developing media training for our Greyshirts. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain practical media experience.
Duties / responsibilities
Responsibilities will vary, but may include:
- Preparing and circulating press releases
- Liaising with Greyshirts to gather story ideas and write copy
- Imagery selection and editing
- Building relationships with key media outlets
- Monitoring and evaluation of media engagement
- Helping to develop media training modules
- Helping to develop media guidance materials for field operations
- Inputting to the media and PR section of the Fundraising strategy
- Developing protocols in relation to media engagement
Qualifications and skills
- Must be able to represent TRUK in a highly professional manner
- Flexible, resourceful, and happy to work with under own initiative and as part of a small team
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to dedicate minimum 10 (preferably 20+) hours per week, during the business day, ability to keep regular weekly hours preferred.
- High computer literacy (MS Office, Google Drive, other online suites)
- Excellent research and organisational skills
- Ability to focus in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience working in an office setting
- An interest in event management with career aspirations related to this sector.
- Academic qualifications in media, public relations or relevant industry experience.
- Previous experience in media or public relations.
Your learning experience
By taking on a volunteer placement with us we are offering the opportunity to be part of Team Rubicon, developing our media engagement which will make a real difference to Team Rubicon in the UK.
Being part of the Development Team offers great opportunities and a range of skill development to enhance your CV, including experience of success in: event planning, event delivery & management of volunteers.
Please note that this is an unpaid volunteer placement opportunity, however TRUK may be able to assist with accommodation/transport solutions. We recommend all prospective candidates to seek financial assistance from their academic institutions or seek outside fellowships, grants and personal resources. TRUK do not sponsor individuals applying for volunteer placement opportunities to help them obtain visas.
Work environment and physical demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Field deployments may be arranged for TRUK volunteers at the mutual agreement of the individual and TRUK.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the post-holder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. TRUK may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.